Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Two Weeks

Today marks two weeks since Owen passed away.  I have composed many blog posts in my mind since then, but have not been motivated to type one out until now.  Two days after losing Owen, we moved.  This was actually really helpful for Pete and I- we were consumed with the stresses of packing, moving, and unpacking (and ripping up questionable wall-to-wall pink carpet).  We only slept in our Clinton Street house for one night after Owen died and it was very obvious to me I had emotionally moved on from that house.  My dining room-turned playroom-turned-Owen's room felt empty without my boy sleeping within sight of the living room.  I turned my head to check on him many times on the last Thursday in the house.  I was happy to leave- the neighbors are dearly missed, but that house is not.

I am less confident the timing of the move was helpful for Ellie.  She has struggled with Owen being gone.  We have a wonderful family therapist and my best friend is a psychologist.  They have both been very helpful in explaining the level of understanding Ellie has of everything that has happened at a 3.5 year old level.  She misses Owen, she initially asked frequently when he was going to come back from Heaven, but seems to have now accepted he will not return.  She then decided that she was going to Heaven in two weeks to be with him.  She also expressed concern about who was next to go to Heaven.  She has now moved on to making 'wishes' such as: before I eat this piece of candy I am going to make a wish: "I wish that Owen would come back from Heaven." It is heartbreaking.  We work hard to speak concretely to her about what has happened.  When Owen was living, we often pointed out the ways Owen's body was different from hers and how it did not work properly for him.  We have continued this conversation with her now that he is gone.  We speak plainly about how his body stopped working for him, that he died, that no one did anything to make it happen, that we miss him, that Mommy and Daddy are not going anywhere, and that he is in Heaven.

The concept of Heaven is a bit abstract for her.  You can see how her mind is working to understand where Heaven is located, what exactly constitutes an angel, and will gobble  up any nugget of telling regarding these subjects.  A few days ago, she asked me, "Mommy, do you think sometime if we look up at the clouds, we will see Owen poke his toes down at us?"  I can only hope- I really miss those long, pale stinky feet.  They were some of the cutest toes I have ever encountered.

For me, it has been far more difficult than I anticipated.  Loving Owen was an exhausting endeavor.  His need of round-the-clock care, round-the-clock medication, and unpredictable moods left Pete and I with very little reserve after two years.  I do not miss those parts of Owen's life.  I sure do miss holding my boy.  I miss dressing him, bathing him, I miss calling to check on his day when I am at work, kissing his face until he would grimace, I miss listening to him breathe and hearing him clang his toys on his toy bar, I miss feeding him bottles and having him pee on me almost daily, I miss putting lotion all over his body as he would wiggle and protest, I miss rubbing Aquafor on his face and telling him he wasn't going to be a crusty boy, I miss putting gel in his hair to make those red curls look adorable.  I could continue this list for a long time before I ran out of all the things that made Owen such a blessing in my life.

I do not miss the making or dispensing of medication, the constant trips to CVS to pick up medication, the cleaning of syringes piled up endlessly next to my sink, the long phone calls to insurance and pharmacy companies for supplies, the stress and planning required to take him out of the house for a simple trip, or watching him have seizures, cry out in distress, or struggle to breathe.

I am thankful that his body is now at peace and his soul is in Heaven, but I know it will be a long time before I will be able to get through my day without feeling like a large piece of me is missing. The grief I feel comes in waves and unfortunately it seems to be harder two weeks later than it did in the days after Owen passed away.  I remember the dark days after Owen was diagnosed as a two month old.  I was deeply depressed and did not feel  I would ever be capable of feeling joy again.  At some point, I came out of that place and was able to live life and love my two kiddos as any mom does.  I know the overwhelming sadness I feel right now will eventually dissipate.  A dear friend, who lost her son a number of years ago at the age of twenty-three, shared with me she still has days where she cries over the pain of him being gone.  It is daunting to know I will forever have these dark days of sadness and ache for Owen.  If this is the return for the two years that I got to love my boy then I can accept that exchange.


5 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see that you're continuing to post! You are a such a talented writer, Sommer. Listening to your stories of explaining Owen's passing to Ellie breaks my heart, but I know that you are doing with the grace and love that you have shown all along. Ellie is one lucky little lady. Keep on blogging! And always, always loving that sweet, sweet Owen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sommer,
    Thank you for sharing you ups and downs. You really give a great perspective on the virtues of being a parent; selflessness, unconditional love, sacrifice and making decisions that are the best for your children, even if those decisions are difficult ones for us. Melissa and I are praying for you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so wonderful and I love you! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sommer, thank you so much for sharing your story and for continuing to share your story. I have so enjoyed following your journey as Owen's mom, and have been inspired along the way by your strength and love as well as your talent for capturing what this experience feels like and sharing it with us. Thank you. Wishing you and your family continued healing as you adapt to this next chapter. RIP Owen xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't checked your blog for a while, so I just learned today that Owen had left. My heart goes out to you, Pete and Ellie. Thank you for sharing your family's journey with us. You are, indeed, a gifted writer and have done an amazing job of documenting what it has been like loving Owen. My 27 year old daughter died in 2009 and I can honestly tell you that it will get better - and it never will. Eventually the business of life will take over and you will have happy, normal days. But there will always be those times when the memories will come rushing back - and Owen will be with you again. I also understand what it's like to explain death to a small child. When my daughter died she left her 2 year old daughter for us to raise. Helping her understand her mother's death has been a great blessing for us. It has enabled us to see it through the innocence and trust of a child's heart. After my daughter died I dealt with my grief by writing poetry. You can read through the progression of my mourning at http://evansnet.org/rachel if you'd like. Blessings to you all, and to sweet, precious Owen.

    ReplyDelete